The Arc of Oklahoma’s Family Support program is a tremendous resource for families raising children with developmental disabilities. It is a bilingual program, offered in both English and Spanish, available at no cost to families across the state.
Family Support encompasses the following services:
• One-on-One education helping families with questions about a specific disability, such as Down syndrome or autism.
• Helping families access the service delivery system.
• Special education advocacy, working with families and their schools to address the child’s needs in the special education system.
• Professional education for local professionals, service providers and media representatives presented by subject-matter experts on a variety of disabilities-related topics.
• Support groups for a variety of communities. Most support groups meet once a month throughout the whole year.
Mom’s & Dad’s: For parents of children with developmental disabilities focusing on nurturing and supporting families, encouraging positive strategies in dealing with challenges, and sharing in the joy of raising children.
¡Nos Apoyamos! (“We Support Each Other!“) For Spanish-speaking parents of children with developmental disabilities to gather in a relaxed, casual setting with opportunities to share and learn from each other as well as listen to guest speakers.
Teen Connection: Social group for middle and high school students with high functioning autism. Students play board and video games where they can practice positive social skills.
Kids Connection: Social group for students in kindergarten through 5th grade with high-functioning autism.
For more information on Family Support services,
contact Sherilyn or Hannah at 918-582-8272
The Arc of Oklahoma provides education, advocacy, and support on Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) • Fragile X Syndrome • Tourette Syndrome • Spina Bifida • Cerebral Palsy (CP) • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) • Apert Syndrome • Hearing Loss • Learning Disability (LD) • Vision Loss • Developmental Delay (DD) • Pervasive Developmental Disorder • Cystic Fibrosis (CF) • Developmental Disabilities (DD) • Epilepsy • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) • Intellectual Disabilities (ID) • Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) • Prader-Willi Syndrome • Asperger Syndrome • Williams Syndrome • Down Syndrome and many more